Guide on dispelling >magic<

Wilcox

Guide on dispelling >magic<

#1 » Post by Wilcox » 13 Mar 2016 12:39

Hello.

I decided to write a guide on how to dispel for paladins and priests after having to stay in full polymorphs / frost traps etc during battlegrounds, it seems people need to learn what dispelling means and how it is used. Note that this guide is only for magic, I won't go into curses etc.
There are two kinds of dispels - on allies and on enemies.

Dispels that can be cast on allies:
  • Dispel Magic of a priest
  • Mass Dispel of a priest
  • Cleanse of a paladin
  • Devour Magic of a warlock's felhunter
Dispels that can be cast on enemies:
  • Dispel Magic of a priest
  • Mass Dispel of a priest
  • Purge of a shaman
  • Spellsteal of a mage
  • Devour Magic of a warlock's felhunter
  • Tranquilizing Shot of a hunter
  • Shield Slam of a warrior
  • Shattering Throw of a warrior
Things you should dispel off your friends while fighting each of these classes:

Death Knight: Chains of Ice, Hungering Cold, Strangulate, Mark of Blood
Paladin: Hammer of Justice, Repentance, Judgement of Justice
Warrior: -

Hunter: Silencing Shot, Freezing Arrow, Web/pinch abilities if he has spider/crab pets, Entrapment, any other trap effects, Hunter's Mark
Shaman: Earthbind Totem's root & slow, frost shock

Rogue: -
Druid: Entangling Roots, Insect Swarm, Faerie Fire

Priest: Psychic Scream, Psychic Horror, Silence, Shadow Word: Pain
Warlock: Shadowfury, Immolate (to avoid conflagrate), Shadowflame (to avoid conflagrate and it is likely to be glyphed for extra slow), Seduction, Fear, Howl of Terror
Mage: Polymorph, Deep Freeze, Freeze, Frostbolt, Slow, Dragon's Breath, Living Bomb(situational)
It's almost always beneficial to dispel your enemy whenever you can. Make sure to put your dispel in a close key. Dispelling is one of the most gamebreaking mechanics in World of Warcraft, and honestly, everyone should start doing it. I'll still give a list of things you should be looking to dispel.

Death Knight: -
Warrior: -
Paladin: Sacred Shield, Hand of "...", Divine Sacrifice, Divine Protection(can also be removed by Shattering Throw along with other dispels), Divine Shield (can only be broken by Shattering Throw or Mass Dispel), Blessing of "...", Avenging Wrath, Righteous Fury (in PvP, most of the paladins have a talent that reduces damage taken by %6)

Hunter: -
Shaman: Lightning / Earth / Water shield, Elemental Mastery, Bloodlust/Heroism

Druid: Gift/Mark of the Wild, Thorns, any form of heal over time spell (except for Lifebloom!), Innervate
Rogue: -

Mage: Ice Barrier, Mana Shield, Frost/Fire Ward, Icy Veins, Focus Magic, Arcane/Dalaran Intellect/Brilliance
Warlock: Backlash, Nether Protection
Priest: Power Word:"..." (especially shield), Power Infusion, Prayer of Mending, any of the beneficial priest talents
That's it for this guide, once again I don't claim that this is the best information available and it's certainly open to discussion. I may have missed out some parts since there are lots of stuff that you need to know when it comes to 10 classes and 30 talent trees. Hope this was helpful to some people.
Last edited by Wilcox on 08 Feb 2017 16:49, edited 11 times in total.

ItchyVortex

Re: Guide on dispelling >magic<

#2 » Post by ItchyVortex » 13 Mar 2016 14:35

Nice guide that should be forwared to most ally rets. I will add that druid FF should be dispelled from rogues as they can't restealth with it.
Also disc buffs have 95% dispel resist through pain supression, Its not worth to try to dispel it unless you are RNGesus himself.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Wilcox

#3 » Post by Wilcox » 13 Mar 2016 14:59

yeah, deleted pain sup and added faerie fire, you're right

Dropdead

#4 » Post by Dropdead » 13 Mar 2016 15:23

Shaman stoneclaw shield buff is undispellable also , its what makes it so good .

Wilcox

#5 » Post by Wilcox » 13 Mar 2016 15:23

Dropdead wrote:Shaman stoneclaw shield buff is undispellable also , its what makes it so good .
i thought it could be dispelled, wat ;o removing it then

Vaen

#6 » Post by Vaen » 13 Mar 2016 16:14

Kinda useless to try to dispel earth shield since it's retarded and takes charges instead of the whole buff unless you have something crucial to dispel like predatory (jk it gets protected by earth shield anyways).
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Wilcox

#7 » Post by Wilcox » 13 Mar 2016 17:09

Vaen wrote:Kinda useless to try to dispel earth shield since it's retarded and takes charges instead of the whole buff unless you have something crucial to dispel like predatory (jk it gets protected by earth shield anyways).
truewow mechs :9

SomethingWitty

#8 » Post by SomethingWitty » 13 Mar 2016 22:58

learn to sac bro...fuck your team. if theres one thing ive gotten used to while playing on here, dont expect your teammates to do shit.

non-relevant: in 6 years of playing ive managed to spell steal pain supp once.
"he cant even base a shit + he is worst pvp player in here and he tells us we are bad in pvp this is nonesense its like Englez will say that virdo is bad in leading raids and in pve and after virdo asks him why he say that and for what reason englez will say 'i dont want to destroy your statements ive been there done that etc' "-Balanced 2015

Naxp

#9 » Post by Naxp » 13 Mar 2016 23:15

Stand idle + Dispel 1372363 magics from team mate = get rekt by smourne warrior infront of you

ez tact ez game

no but rly tho, some of those magics shouldnt be dispelled unless cleared combat due to low ticks and/or low duration.
CC's counted in the obvious list ofc

Wilcox

#10 » Post by Wilcox » 13 Mar 2016 23:19

SomethingWitty wrote:learn to sac bro...fuck your team. if theres one thing ive gotten used to while playing on here, dont expect your teammates to do shit.

non-relevant: in 6 years of playing ive managed to spell steal pain supp once.
i've got 2 sacs 'bro', after both of them are gone I can't sac shit. also the fact that I have sac doesn't justify some paladin/priest's failure to dispel me
Naxp wrote:Stand idle + Dispel 1372363 magics from team mate = get rekt by smourne warrior infront of you

ez tact ez game

no but rly tho, some of those magics shouldnt be dispelled unless cleared combat due to low ticks and/or low duration.
CC's counted in the obvious list ofc
which of those magics shouldn't be dispelled?

Bluebell
Former Staff

#11 » Post by Bluebell » 13 Mar 2016 23:47

needs more colours to make it look pretty, so it's easier to digest
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

ItchyVortex

#12 » Post by ItchyVortex » 13 Mar 2016 23:59

Bluebell wrote:needs more colours to make it look pretty, so it's easier to digest
Class icons would be a good idea too.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Wilcox

#13 » Post by Wilcox » 14 Mar 2016 00:04

ItchyVortex wrote:
Bluebell wrote:needs more colours to make it look pretty, so it's easier to digest
Class icons would be a good idea too.
aint nobody got time for dat

edit: decided to go with your way and change things, how does it look now?

Wilcox

#14 » Post by Wilcox » 25 Jul 2016 13:50

just want to bump this so maybe someone is able to get some information. battlegrounds are still filled with priests and paladins that suck shit at dispelling polymorph and/or freezing arrow q.q

Eronox
MVP

#15 » Post by Eronox » 26 Jul 2016 13:53

Could be useful.

Tired of joining a BG as hpala and look at disc priests, or any priest overall, just standing there while I have to dispel/HoF like crazy

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash