Language

Archive of discussions that have went stale. Lots o' dust over here!
Arcman

Language

#1 » Post by Arcman » 09 Dec 2016 14:01

Greetings

At about 13:40 PM 9/12/'16 I was chatting (okay, more like trolling around) with someone when a GM suddenly whispered me. He told me to "Watch my language". There was just 1 problem; I had typed a total of 3 words in 3 different languages (just the word "salty" in Dutch, German and Spanish). So, I asked him what he exactly meant, which is only normal since I basically just want to know what I'm doing wrong. All he says is "you know exactly what I mean", which is just a stupid thing to say since I don't. So, naturally, I asked him again (but a bit more detailed this time) to which he didn't respond. I thought he was either just trying to ignore me or genuinly hadn't seen it (I don't know how receiving a message as a gm from a player looks like, if it has a sound to it, so I had no clue) or just thought I was trying to troll him, so I told him I was being serious. I intended on saying "I'm serious. My native language isn't English and I don't know whether or not you mean that litterally as in "watch which language you're using" or "don't use bad words". Infact, in my native language we don't even say "watch your language", but (litterally translated) "watch the way you use your language". So please be a little bit more clear" but he had already muted me for 30 minutes. If I had to guess, I'd say he meant I shouldn't be speaking any other "foreign" language, but come one 3 words. And it was just because someone asked me to, what am I supposed to do? Say; "hell no, l'm not going that way"? Sure, as a GM it's not always easy to figure out whether or not someone is trolling or not, but is it really that hard to just put it a bit more clear after it's asked? I don't even mean to insult the GM in question with this post, or any GM at all, I just wanted to know what he meant, but I couldn't ask him since he just muted me. Anyway, here's a link to a few screen shots I took to proove what I'm saying; http://ishmunale.imgur.com/.

Regards,
Ishmunale
Last edited by Arcman on 09 Dec 2016 14:09, edited 1 time in total.

Fastor

Re: Language

#2 » Post by Fastor » 09 Dec 2016 14:06

Check your link, its not showing to us.

Arcman

#3 » Post by Arcman » 09 Dec 2016 14:10

Fastor wrote:Check your link, its not showing to us.
Here's the link to an album I made, works now I hope http://ishmunale.imgur.com/

Jiranthos
Admin

#4 » Post by Jiranthos » 09 Dec 2016 14:41

Arcman wrote:Issue
Hello. I'm pretty sure (judging only by the context/proof you have provided via the images), that you were muted for using the racial slur - The N Word. While it was uncalled for (and no, other players cannot "make you do it", especially on global channels where such slurs are especially unfit to be used), I do believe that the punishment was harsh (30 minutes) and there was no prior warning, or explanation after your genuine and generally neutral (at least not aggressive) way of asking them what you had done wrong. There seems to have been no reply thereafter, also.
I want to apologize on behalf of my colleague, perhaps he was having a bad day or the word personally affects him, but the action taken and the silent treatment seem to be a bit harsh and over the top here, in my opinion.

I just want you to know, that "this is not fine", in my opinion (I don't know about the whole staff), and I will see if a discussion about this incident can be made with the GM in question present.

Thank you for your report, but please try not to filth public chats again.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

Arcman

#5 » Post by Arcman » 09 Dec 2016 14:43

Jiranthos wrote:
Arcman wrote:Issue
Hello. I'm pretty sure (judging only by the context/proof you have provided via the images), that you were muted for using the racial slur - The N Word. While it was uncalled for (and no, other players cannot "make you do it", especially on global channels where such slurs are especially unfit to be used), I do believe that the punishment was harsh (30 minutes) and there was no prior warning, or explanation after your genuine and generally neutral (at least not aggressive) way of asking them what you had done wrong. There seems to have been no reply thereafter, also.
I want to apologize on behalf of my colleague, perhaps he was having a bad day or the word personally affects him, but the action taken and the silent treatment seem to be a bit harsh and over the top here, in my opinion.

I just want you to know, that "this is not fine", in my opinion (I don't know about the whole staff), and I will see if a discussion about this incident can be made with the GM in question present.

Thank you for your report, but please try not to filth public chats again.
Thank you! Finally I know what he meant. And okay, I'll avoid using the N-word.

Longi

#6 » Post by Longi » 09 Dec 2016 14:56

just report that GM ... it´s at least the third time when he used " power abuse " and mutted / banned a player without any real reason just for his feels, its hard for him to stay neutral :D but in global he is fine guy just time to time he reacts too hard on players :D

mmedve14

#7 » Post by mmedve14 » 09 Dec 2016 15:16

as a primal player myself it's not the GM's fault. Ishmunale has been spamming the world chat with nonsense and offensive words for quite some time . This is not to say other people don't do it aswell. But ye deserved mute.

KohiiKaiju

#8 » Post by KohiiKaiju » 09 Dec 2016 15:24

You were speaking English perfectly well in global channels up to that point. You gave me a reply which I interpreted as passive aggressive. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I would apologize, but I don't think I was and you knew perfectly well to which I was referring - not only because I whispered you seconds after the world chat which I found against the rules but because I've heard you admit in a group chat that you intend to troll people on the server. Maybe I would have considered your question if you had been speaking any other language besides English in world chat, but you weren't.

Either way, I doubt a 30 minute mute is that harsh that it ruined your day.

Arcman2

#9 » Post by Arcman2 » 09 Dec 2016 20:16

KohiiKaiju wrote:You were speaking English perfectly well in global channels up to that point. You gave me a reply which I interpreted as passive aggressive. Maybe I'm wrong, in which case I would apologize, but I don't think I was and you knew perfectly well to which I was referring - not only because I whispered you seconds after the world chat which I found against the rules but because I've heard you admit in a group chat that you intend to troll people on the server. Maybe I would have considered your question if you had been speaking any other language besides English in world chat, but you weren't.

Either way, I doubt a 30 minute mute is that harsh that it ruined your day.
Ok, so, first of all; I had said stuff in different languages, you could ask neth (also I hope you said something about him asking me to say salty like "hitler"? I don't hate the guy at all, but that's actually waaaaaaay worse than dropping the "n-word"). Salty, 3 times. Dutch: zoutig; German: salzig and Spanish: salado. I also can't smell you read my chats immediatly after they'd been sent, and I sort of tend to type fast so I had no clue about which you were reffering. Sure, I said the "n-word", so I surelly could've guessed it was about that, right? Perhaps, if the translation of the "n-word' would actually be considered offending in my language (kinda racist of native english speakers to find the "n-word" racist, it's like saying people with a black skin colour are bad or something, but ok, that's besides the point). And when/in what group chat did I say I intend to troll people on the server? I don't mean this offensive, but I'd really like to know. Infact, I don't think anyone's noticed, but I'm trying to get that dead world chat to be more active since a dead world chat actually scares off new players. Sure, I "trolled" around a bit, altho it's more like talking silly talk (zeveren, in my language, I dont think there's an english equivalent), but it has started some conversations. Perhaps no "serious" ones, but it has a few times. And I didn't even care about the mute itself, neither would I have cared if an officer had given me a warning irl, it's just that it seemed childish to mute someone after asking a question.

Either way, I don't think saying "I was talking about bad words" is that hard to type that it would've ruined your day.

Arcman2

#10 » Post by Arcman2 » 09 Dec 2016 20:21

mmedve14 wrote:as a primal player myself it's not the GM's fault. Ishmunale has been spamming the world chat with nonsense and offensive words for quite some time . This is not to say other people don't do it aswell. But ye deserved mute.
Nonsense, well I can't deny that. Offensive? In what way, honestly? Also, I didn't get muted for saying what I said in world chat, but merely for asking which the gm was referring to and asking him to be clear after he plainly said "you know what I mean".

Arockalypse
Donor

#11 » Post by Arockalypse » 09 Dec 2016 20:37

mmedve14 wrote:as a primal player myself it's not the GM's fault. Ishmunale has been spamming the world chat with nonsense and offensive words for quite some time . This is not to say other people don't do it aswell. But ye deserved mute.
I hope you were not offended by these offensive words that you read in a game by someone you don't even know.
Shadow Council of Hellraisers
TrueWoW member since 2010.

⌁ How the little piggies will grunt when they hear how the old boar suffered ⌁

Gnurg

#12 » Post by Gnurg » 09 Dec 2016 21:08

Arockalypse wrote:
I hope you were not offended by these offensive words that you read in a game by someone you don't even know.
Repeatedly bringing those offensive words up is quite unnecessary though.

Arockalypse wrote:voicing their opinion when they don't even play (on PrimalWoW)
Lets not poison PrimalWoW with TrueWoW's mentality.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

Garadan

#13 » Post by Garadan » 09 Dec 2016 21:19

Who told you I don't play on primalwow :D
Garadan from Garadar.

Gnurg

#14 » Post by Gnurg » 09 Dec 2016 21:23