Chaos Bolt

Naljs

Chaos Bolt

#1 » Post by Naljs » 27 Oct 2014 15:14

Okay so I've noticed a few things with Chaos Bolt. I've had hunters cast Deterrence mid-cast of my CB, and it has pierced through and done full damage. I'm not sure if this is a bug or not so I try to avoid this for fair play. Then I noticed it goes through Anti-Magic Shell which seems legit since AMS is an absorb.

Now I have some questions; is there any bug about Chaos Bolt/the receiving end of CB? Thinking about Deterrence, possibly other cases, my Internet is way too slow atm for searching around if that's legit or not.
Then I wonder; is there anything that actually does stop/reduce Chaos Bolt damage? I know Divine Shield and Ice Block does, what I'm not sure about is things like Anti-Magic Zone. And things like Pain Suppression and Shield Wall should reduce its damage too afaik (although I've had 8k CB crits on me during PS >_>).

Despite playing this game for 7 years I'm still not familiar with all aspects of the game, so this with Deterrence made me think.
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
King Charles XII of Sweden (1682-1718)
Yes, I know there is a special place in Hell for me.
It's called a Throne.

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

Re: Chaos Bolt

#2 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 27 Oct 2014 15:30

afaik, chaos bolt can't be stoped by anything, except be reflected or eaten by ground totem... it pierces bubble and ice block
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702
E-mail: bone.link90@yahoo.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Mihai.Udrescu90
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198138722978/[/hide]
Char list:
[hide]Blackluster
Katra
Mystral
Sepinia
Shanira
Stasher
Lightluster
Soreya
Dastan
Xeria
Runya[/hide]

Naljs

#3 » Post by Naljs » 27 Oct 2014 15:43

No it states it pierces through absorb effects, bubble and Ice Block are immunities. Only Mass Dispel and Shattering Throw can break those 2. But Deterrence deflects spells, sort of in style with Spell Reflect except the reflection part which is why I somehow don't think CB should go through. But I don't know so I wanted to ask.

And please, Hunters who thinks Deterrence should parry Back Stab and Cheap Shot and abilities alike, just no. Shoo!!
"I have resolved never to start an unjust war, but never to end a legitimate one except by defeating my enemies."
It's called a Throne.

Vaen

#4 » Post by Vaen » 27 Oct 2014 15:57

And please, Hunters who thinks Deterrence should parry Back Stab and Cheap Shot and abilities alike, just no. Shoo!!
You're wrong in both senses. Chaos bolt is supposed to go through deterrence and it kinda makes sense since it also goes through cloak of shadows, don't ask me why it was made that way but that's how it is. And deterrence SHOULD allow you to parry both backstab and shred, cheap shot and ambush cannot be parried simply because they are openers and openers cannot be dodged or parried (both rogues' and druid's pounce).

Edit: These links may be of interest to you:

Shred going through deterr bug: http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/14345 ... eterrence/

Fixed in 3.3.3: http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/13036 ... ge__st__20

Basically shred and backstab going through deterrence in retail was a bug caused by a leftover mechanic from a fix they had applied so that ambush and backstab wouldn't be parried by targets who are turning. It truly makes no sense to me since no such fix was applied on truewow and both shred and backstab can be parried by targets who are turning (on truewow).
Vaen - Human Warrior
Verwandlung - Human Lock
Parallel - Human Priest

Follow me on Twitch

Naljs

#5 » Post by Naljs » 27 Oct 2014 16:25

Nice, never knew it was a leftover that was fixed. Thanks.

So it should go through Deterrence, then I can cast it without getting a bad consciousness. I don't really understand the comparison to CoS though, it feels obvious to CB a CoS but yeah.. thanks for the answer though :) I've spared too many hunters because I wasn't sure if it was a bug or not..
It's called a Throne.

ItchyVortex

#6 » Post by ItchyVortex » 27 Oct 2014 18:48

Vaen wrote:
Basically shred and backstab going through deterrence in retail was a bug caused by a leftover mechanic from a fix they had applied so that ambush and backstab wouldn't be parried by targets who are turning. It truly makes no sense to me since no such fix was applied on truewow and both shred and backstab can be parried by targets who are turning (on truewow).
Actually blizzard reverted it in 3.3.3 to let shred and backstab trump deterrence again, and a good source is the exact link you posted.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Bluebell
Former Staff

#7 » Post by Bluebell » 27 Oct 2014 20:44

It goes through Ardent Defender as well. D:
Why join the winning side if you can change the winner?

Blacklustersoldier
Honorary Member

#8 » Post by Blacklustersoldier » 27 Oct 2014 21:10

/cast chaos bolt
/bluebell has died
/point
/laugh
RETIRED
Contact info:
[hide]Skype: bone.link90
Battle tag EU: bonelink90#2702