Flevor's PvE Warlock Guide

.flevor

Flevor's PvE Warlock Guide

#1 » Post by .flevor » 05 Aug 2015 13:24

Hello everyone my name is Flevor and i've decided to put time and more time and alot more time(not realy) into writing a simple but effective warlock guide for PvE!

Lets start shall we!

First of all the list of abbreviations:

SB = Shadow Bolt
IM = Immolate
CP = Corruption
CoA = Curse of Agony
DL= Drain Life
DM = Drain Mana
DC = Death Coil
B = Banish
DA = Demon Armor
FH = Felhunter
DP = Dark Pact
DS = Drain Soul
CoE = Curse of Elements
RoF = Rain of Fire

Lets start with the Talents.
http://wotlk.openwow.com/talent#IfxbbzMAoi0oZZE00Vb

Abit of explaination here: I took 34/0/17 because of the server reverting to the old nerfing system, our hp is low the healers mana cost is increased shields and absorbs are nerfed too this is why i focused the talents mana wise more then damage because:

1.It makes it alot easier for the healers you being able to keep up your mana with DP without losing health
2.Infinite mana! unless your pet dies horribly
3.it's easy to uphold your debuffs on the target!
4.did i say it was easier for healers?!

The Rotation.

For single target it's really easy!

1.Cast IM,CP and CoA on your target UNLESS! You are told to put up CoE on the target than DO NOT use CoA
2.Cast SB,SB,SB,SB,SB,SB,SB,SB,SB and more SB until your DoT's run out
3. Refresh your Dot's(IM,CP and CoA or CoE) and go back to step 2
4.Now if you run out of mana You'll use DP use it until your pet is almost out of mana(NOT COMPLETELY OUT OF MANA) otherwise your felhunter wont be able to cast Shadow Bite and he will not regen mana!
5.When you've done that and your mana is nearly full go back to step 1 and 2

P.S you CAN consider using DS instead of SB if your target is under 25% health but only do this if you have enough inventory space(you'll get alot of soul shards)

That's basicly it.

For AoE you can do two things, if you are fighting ALOT of mobs who die slowly you can put a CP on each of them(for the spirit tap heals) and then use Hellfire the CP heals will keep you up plus you have healers if you ever are low

Another easy AoE is...well just spam Rain of Fire thats it!

Buffs:

Now warlocks need buffs like any other class here are some most usefull

1.Blessing of Kings(you will not run out of mana so Wisdom is not realy needed)
2.Mark of the wild
3.Demon armor(for that smexy extra armor)
4.Spellstone! very important this increases your haste and your DoT's damage!
5.Other stat increase items like Food and Spell power Flask

Enchants:

I'm not going to go really indept into enchants mostly things with + Int or + spellpower is good however you need to prioritize Spellpower over Int!

If there is no enchant for either spellpower or Int you can consider taking + shadow or fire damage (if those are still around)
If those aren't around you CAN take stamina or spirit i prefer stamina over spirit because more HP FTW

Stat Priority:

Spellpower > Int > Hit > haste > Crit > Stamina

Hitcap
Your lvl - 4%
Boss(+3 lvl) - 17%
this is the hitcap for spells in vanilla i have NO idea if this is the same on the wotlk client,one can only hope

Last notes: this is a quick and simple guide i made to help warlocks out in this server who have no idea how to use the talents effectively ofcourse i'm not saying that this is the best build at all! this is a build wich gives you almost infinite mana and makes it helle easier for your healers in raid because you don't have to use Life Tap all the time i will update this guide if this server gets more updates regarding the nerfs for PvE!

Thanks for reading! Feedback is always welcome however keep in mind flaming or comments completely breaking down my guide will get reported or removed(if i can)

Thank you and i hope i helped

-Flevor
Last edited by AdvocateAnarchy on 05 Aug 2015 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Zanmato

Re: Flevor's PvE Warlock Guide

#2 » Post by Zanmato » 05 Aug 2015 14:05

Don't wanna sound like a douche, but there's a few issues with your guide.

Your stat priority is one the things you have wrong there.
flevor wrote:Spellpower > Int > Hit > haste > Crit > Stamina
Supposing you're itemizing for raids, you should consider prioritizing Hit until you're capped.

herlitzyolo

#3 » Post by herlitzyolo » 05 Aug 2015 14:10

Hai Flev!

Even though I do not play warlock, I still enjoyed reading your guide - as it is very easy to understand and pretty self-explanatory, +1 for that.

However, some questions popped up in my head while reading.

1. You didn't mention too much about the consumables, such as Brilliant Wizard's Oil, Elixir of Shadowpower, Int scroll, SP-flask and so on. In previous cases I have been told that consums are crucial for maximizing the dps-output. I am no expert myself, but is there a reason you didn't touch that subject too much?

2. You wrote a very good explanation of the rotation, does it count for every encounter? Such as 40-man raid bosses or just a simple 5-man dungeon? Or should you change your playstyle depending of which encounter you are up against?

And some other feedback.

When you get more and more experienced of the class that you are playing, you might consider updating your guide with MORE alternative builds and other thoughts.(However, that is just a suggestion)

Other than the things I wrote, a very well written guide with all the basics a new warlock could ask for - though my inner "grammar-nazi" would like to correct a few spelling mistakes here and there. That's not what you want to hear, eh? :D And that's of course not any important att all.

Thank you for taking you time to contribute to this yet small community. It is much appreciated.
Best of regards, Bruttovikt - a fellow guildie. <3

ddod

#4 » Post by ddod » 05 Aug 2015 14:22

How many hit% do u need for raids in this version of the game?

.flevor

#5 » Post by .flevor » 05 Aug 2015 14:25

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Well i did not go too deep into alot of stuff because remember we are on vanilla content in wotlk the rotation is somewhat same for every boss i probably could add that you can do a few Drain life's here and there it was just an idea for a quick and simple guide to get new warlocks started because there is alot of confusion with the wotlk talents

@Zanmato well seeing there are not alot of items with Hit on them i don't priotize it over INT but that kinda is my choice anyway

@Bruttovikt haha nice feedback :P i will be updating this guide with more builds if needed or if the server makes alot of changes too the nerfing system
as for grammar :P i'm trying my best :)

.flevor

#6 » Post by .flevor » 05 Aug 2015 14:28

ddod wrote:How many hit% do u need for raids in this version of the game?

Edited the guide with a hitcap

.landgin

#7 » Post by .landgin » 05 Aug 2015 16:04

Not sure why you'd skip imp lifetap, many raid bosses your pet will be oom, and you will not be able to dark pact. Also, im guessing you raid with alot of other warlocks, otherwise the felhunter talents are wasted when you will have to keep an imp out. Lastly I never use coa unless its trash, CoD is far superior and hits for 5.5-6k.

.landgin

#8 » Post by .landgin » 05 Aug 2015 16:33

Not even sure immolate is worth casting. 314 spellpower, 8%hit, 8% crit. Master dummy with raid gear, each fight ~3 minutes.

Firestone CoA:

http://imgur.com/k72IcBe

Spellstone CoD:

http://imgur.com/5UhJ191

Firestone CoD: 519 dps, no flask or other buffs:

http://imgur.com/HQ3xJJr

.flevor

#9 » Post by .flevor » 05 Aug 2015 21:58

Immolate is deffo worth casting we warlocks are limited with our spells(like most classes) so why discard yet another one??

i skipped improved life tap because you'll be constantly using dark pact and you don't use imp at all Felhunter even increases your dps with it's shadow bite also your pet wont run out of mana because of Imp. Felhunter he regens 8% of it's max mana per shadow bite and it has a 2 second cooldown it will not run out of mana any time soon.

CoD? it's not supirior it might hit for 5-6k in a minute but compare that a long fight? sustained damage is better i can currently get unbuffed up to 620 dps in a dummy

Also Imp is completely useless imo it's mana regen can't keep up at this level it runs out of mana quiet quickly wich makes it useless felhunter's shadowbite crits to about 400 for me right now

and i have 323 spell power atm

.landgin

#10 » Post by .landgin » 06 Aug 2015 00:53

flevor wrote:Immolate is deffo worth casting we warlocks are limited with our spells(like most classes) so why discard yet another one??

i skipped improved life tap because you'll be constantly using dark pact and you don't use imp at all Felhunter even increases your dps with it's shadow bite also your pet wont run out of mana because of Imp. Felhunter he regens 8% of it's max mana per shadow bite and it has a 2 second cooldown it will not run out of mana any time soon.

CoD? it's not supirior it might hit for 5-6k in a minute but compare that a long fight? sustained damage is better i can currently get unbuffed up to 620 dps in a dummy

Also Imp is completely useless imo it's mana regen can't keep up at this level it runs out of mana quiet quickly wich makes it useless felhunter's shadowbite crits to about 400 for me right now

and i have 323 spell power atm
yeah, I'm guessing this guide is probably 5 mans or ubrs. I cant see a 40 man wanting to lose the imp bufff.

Yeah CoD is alot better. CoA is 24 seconds ~1500 + reapply time, where as CoD is one application per minute, if it misses, than CoA. I don't have problems usually with my imp, unless its rag, simply because of the length of the fight.

Feris

#11 » Post by Feris » 06 Aug 2015 23:07

Without going too far in depth, your talent build is questionable. Health loss from tap is moot in raids with a 2 hots making it so you can tap freely, at worst you have 0 hots tap and then lightwell and it will heal you up on its own. The felhunter talent is also questionable because on top of possibly being the imp lock in raids pet survivability is not the best in raids and if your felhunter dies suddenly you're down 3 talent points.

As for is Immolate worth using or not? Long story short, it is http://puu.sh/jrY7V/ca24ee3f85.png

.flevor

#12 » Post by .flevor » 09 Aug 2015 19:13

@Feris using either dark pact or life tap is basicly personal choice i have no problems to keep my mana up did MC the otherday my pet did not die once,there was only a problem with Garr that i couldn't use Dark pact because my pet was suddenly immumme????

For the rest i really like this build it's easy to maintain tbh

Feris

#13 » Post by Feris » 10 Aug 2015 03:40

But it's really not personal choice though. On top of Dark Pact being a talent point that could be spent else where, it just straight doesn't return anywhere near the amount of mana that Life Tap does and unless we get a LOT more spell power it never will. http://puu.sh/jvJ0j/ea1ba6e5ef.png Both scale with spell power, and all I did to calculate this was look at the tooltip on open wow's wowhead clone for Life Tap and wowwiki information on Dark Pact.

What this means is that if we're talking straight mana gain, there's zero reason to ever take Dark Pact. As I said earlier there's also just plain better talents you could be taking instead of Dark Pact so it's not worth taking as a spot for a free talent point (not that we even have many of those at the moment). So the only reason to ever take Dark Pact is if the damage from Life Tap was so much that it was worth using more GCDs that could be used for damage on Dark Pact to avoid taking the damage from Life Tap. But again it's not, you might be able to make an arguement in 5 mans with only one healer. But as I said before in a raid group with multiple healers (or hell even just a 5 man with a holy priest for a lightwell) it's not relevant damage at all.

Edit: Granted the data in that screenshot was assuming you take Improved Life Tap, but even without it Dark Pact still doesn't compare. http://puu.sh/jvJ7g/12e23cc8d6.png

.landgin

#14 » Post by .landgin » 10 Aug 2015 12:57

I use dark pact to stay alive.

Amalizzy

#15 » Post by Amalizzy » 10 Aug 2015 13:09

TL DR
Buuut.
2.Infinite mana! unless your pet dies horribly
Consider moving 2/2 Intesity to 2/2 fel synergy