Tharros: Bug Tracker Operation I-2016

All you need to know about the happenings of TrueWoW can be found here.
Nyeriah

Tharros: Bug Tracker Operation I-2016

#1 » Post by Nyeriah » 19 Jan 2016 01:33

Hello,

As you all know from the Resolutions & Expectations thread, this year we'll be facing things more directly and trying to address most of the issues that have hindered us so far. To start with our plans, let me introduce you the Codename "Tharros", our first Bug Tracker Operation of 2016, which is also, the first public one.

Courage
  • One of the pillars of leadership, courage is what we need the most when facing challenging goals, be it at work, games or our lives.

The courage to innovate and try new things. The courage to accept our mistakes and try to improve them. To execute tasks and accomplish things.
    It's the one virtue that makes all the others possible - it's our motion force.

Thárros (θάρρος) is the Greek word for Courage and has been chosen to name this Operation as it is a reflection of what we'll be needing the most this year - the courage to get down to business and say "let's do it" and regardless of the outcome, whether our goals are met or not, we'll be doing our best :)

The Operation
  • Bug Tracker Operations are hosted whenever we see the need of a mass engagement required in order to put things in place and clear the flow, so developers can address issues easier and the bugtracker reflects the exact current development status of our server.

The first Bug Tracker Operation was held a year and half ago and it had as goal the proper sorting of bug tracker issues, which were until that point pretty much neglected. And then at that time we were beating -100 unlabeled issues per day, undoubtedly, a lot of work. I believe at that time we had Chasity coordinating things and the testers assisting us, and they did most of the work with the assistance of some staff members and few players. The thread has rested for long at the Testing Territory section, but I think it's fine to share it now in case anyone is curious: http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 7&start=15

This is the first one planned for this year and is expected to last throughout this first semester.

Goals
  • As said previously, this BTO has very challenging goals. Before getting ot them, let's first analyze our current summary of issues:
    As can be seen, we have 729 Confirmed issues. From our starting point, we consider all of these confirmed issues as valid issues that eventually need to be looked into and fixed. However, there's one major issue in it - the maintenance of such issues.

As you all know, we're receiving updates weekly from our emulator's team (trinitycore) and from our developers, which puts us in a state of constant changes. Sometimes we win, sometimes we lose but that's expected. The problem is, in this state of constant changes, it's not possible for us to keep every report up to date and unfortunately some reports end up getting neglected. This creates false numbers - it makes it look like there are more issues than there actually are and hinders the effectiveness of our developers, that often get stumbled on things that are already working but still pending as bugged.

So now we get to our goals:
    • Feedback Issues: 0 Issues
      • Show no mercy to the issues labeled as Feedback. Feedback issues are often issues that either have already received a fix or have a developer working into them and require further confirmation. They should be the issues we exterminate firstly. If there's a fix applied at the Public Test Realm and it needs to be restarted or the software needs to be compiled you can always contact me and I'll see that it gets done, but overall, let's not give these issues any excuses to lie around - they're our main target!

Our goal is to have 0 Feedback issues.
      Confirmed Issues: ~350 Issues
      • Confirmed issues are the ones in greater quantity. As said previously, they're always considered as valid at our default approach. However, we're aware that there are many who've been fixed and may still be confirmed and it should be our goal to update those. Reducing the number of confirmed issues is the main goal of this Operation, even though they receive lower priority than Feedback labeled isues.

Our goal is to lower the current number of confirmed issues by half in this first semester of 2016. And woah... that IS a lot of work, and we'll never be able to accomplish that alone, so we really need the help of everyone willing to help with this :)
    As you can see, there's a lot of work to be done and once again: we cannot do it alone. It'll take a lot of effort from our community to accomplish it, but surely we can do our best to accomplish it. Regardless of the outcome, whether we reach or not the goals set, this will be large improvement to our server, so even if we don't clear the issues we'd have already done something great for ourselves.
Helping: How To
  • There are many ways you can contribute towards this, but at first you can start with:
    • - Test your own issues. Any issue 1 month old is worth of being retested.
      - Don't spam issues if they have already been retested by multiple people, you can contribute more if you look into an issue that hasn't been retested yet.
      - Try to provide useful information to issues
      - Soon you'll be able to request issue status updates at our Archon page (Nyeriah's pet project to support bug tracker activities and perhaps replace the tracker, if it ever manages to be that powerful).
Rewards
  • Players that show outstanding activity during this BTO will be chosen to participate in the Execution Phase of the "Ascension" promotional campaign. The closer we get to our goals, the more participants will be chosen. It's expected for the list of rewarded players to be released sometime at March. Further information is to be released within the next days.
AMA - Ask Me Anything
  • Feel free to use this thread to ask me anything you'd like to ask about this Operation, the previous and the future ones or anything related to this initiative. I'll be answering your questions at the best of my capabilities.

Thank you all for your time and for taking the time to read this. Now let's go back to working :) Regards!

Sarah Alexander

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

Re: Tharros: Bug Tracker Operation I-2016

#2 » Post by Errorista » 19 Jan 2016 12:33

About "feedback" labeled issues I see nothing wrong to have some (more than 0). I always try to keep open 1 week window for feedbacks and then I make (appropriate?) decision. However there can be some exceptions sometimes - atm only 1 (http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=2198) if it is what you meant, Other than that I got rid of all "dead end feedback" labeled issues couple of months ago.

For reducing "confirmed" issue I can give some hints for recuring reports (different case, similar way how to fix).

For "new" I always try to keep that number as low as possible but with exam period I will not be that active until February. Feedbacks from other players are always welcomed.

And thanks for mentioning Chasity, she indeed did outstanding work on Bug Tracker.

Nyeriah

#3 » Post by Nyeriah » 19 Jan 2016 14:16

Yeah, I meant "dead end" feedback issues. However, I don't think you need to keep them open for so long after they have been confirmed as fixed, 1 week means it'll probably be closed at the next update cycle after the fix has been applied. It just kinda leaves me wondering why is it still open/did the fix not work/etc :P Also, 0 is the target but it's completely understandable that there will never be 0 of these issues, the same way we'll never have 0 confirmed issues.

If there are issues that may have a similar way of fix could you add a relation to them? That should help greatly, we'll just remove the relation later if it proves to be something else.

Thank for all the work, effort and engagement you've put on working at the bugtracker and broadcasting too :) You've been doing an amazing job that really can't go unnoticed.

Regards.

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#4 » Post by Errorista » 19 Jan 2016 14:34

Well, if Frewdis says something like:

- will be somewhere in between completely broken and amazingly blizzlike after update.
- Will it be fixed next update?
- could it be fixed after update? Maybe
- attempt for fix in tomorrow update

You must understand my hesitation and I put it as resolved when I can test it on live on wednesday :D

I will create some extra parent reports later (made 2 so far, 1 got taken care of by Etro more or less), hopefully it will make more effecient way to solve issues.

http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=2797
http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=2796

Nyeriah

#5 » Post by Nyeriah » 19 Jan 2016 17:39

Actually, I'll be adding the issues I find that may need to be retested as feedback, the ones I don't manage to test myself that is.

Nyeriah

#6 » Post by Nyeriah » 21 Jan 2016 03:39

Operation Balance

[table][th]Week[/th][th]Feedback Issues[/th][th]Confirmed Issues[/th][th]Resolved Issues[/th]
[tr][td]---[/td][td]7[/td][td]729[/td][td]1045[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]#1 (Update 35 - 21.01.2016)[/td][td]25 (+ 18)[/td][td]712 (-17)[/td][td]1054 (+ 9)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]#2 (Update 36 - 28.01.2016)[/td][td]10 (- 15)[/td][td]677 (-35)[/td][td]1105 (+ 51)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]#3 (Update 37 - 03.02.2016)[/td][td]N/A[/td][td]N/A[/td][td]N/A[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]#4 (Update 38 - 10.02.2016)[/td][td]10[/td][td]675 (-2)[/td][td]1147 (+ 42)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]#5 (Update 39 - 17.02.2016)[/td][td]8 (- 2)[/td][td]704 (+ 29)[/td][td]1172 (+ 25)[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]#5 (Update 40 - 24.02.2016)[/td][td]23 (+ 15)[/td][td]715 (+ 11)[/td][td]1212 (+ 40)[/td][/tr][/table]

:)

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#7 » Post by Errorista » 24 Jan 2016 15:43

I decided to help too with my limited power, closed some old forgotten reports which got resolved in past and found some duplicates aswell.
I assigned Nyeriah to "double spawn issues" hope you dont mind, was too few to make actual parent report,
added "Loot Table Issues" parent report: http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=3124
and "Pathing Issues" parent report: http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=3125

Next step is "Missing Content" parent report which will be rather "interesting" than "useful" but I will do it anyway. Final idea for now is "Text Issues" but that will be done when I will have more time.

GJ everyone so far.

Errorista
Issue Tracker Leader

#8 » Post by Errorista » 25 Jan 2016 14:36

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 26 Jan 2016 06:34

Errorista: 29

If you count http://www.truewow.org/bugs/view.php?id=729 then 28

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 28 Jan 2016 05:06

22 issues left :'(

Anyway, gonna wait a day or two to consolidate the balance then update our balance table

Nyeriah

#11 » Post by Nyeriah » 28 Jan 2016 19:19

Balance updated.

Nyeriah

#12 » Post by Nyeriah » 12 Feb 2016 05:00

Balance updated!

Unfortunately, last update cycle's balance was skipped since the update never went live. The confirmed issues count hasn't dropped drastically as in the past update cycle but that's due to several unrelated reasons (start of month usually has lower activity, we had more confirmed issues, etc). But overall, it's quite satisfactory seeing we had many fixed issues :)

Regards, keep it up!

Nyeriah

#13 » Post by Nyeriah » 21 Feb 2016 03:48

Balance updated :D

Fastor

#14 » Post by Fastor » 21 Feb 2016 13:32

Instead typing balance updated and overwriting, just post new one.

Nyeriah

#15 » Post by Nyeriah » 21 Feb 2016 14:34

Nah, that makes it redundant and is extremely inconvenient to me :D