Forums & Realmlist Merged

All you need to know about the happenings of TrueWoW can be found here.
Roel
Founder

Forums & Realmlist Merged

#1 » Post by Roel » 03 Mar 2016 12:18

As previously planned, the forums and realmlist of TrueWoW and PrimalWoW have been merged. The websites are still separated but you are now able to use a single forum account to login at both websites and a single game account for both realms. Basically both realms are becoming part of one server. There is no need to change your realmlist, it will automatically get redirected.

Any op the following matters are only important for PrimalWoW users who have trouble accessing their accounts.

Forum accounts:

If there already was a forum account with the same name in the TrueWoW database, your account had to be renamed with a dot in front. For example "Prime" would become ".Prime". All game accounts that were linked to such an account have been unlinked. This gives you 3 options:
- Link your game accounts to a forum account you already had at TrueWoW. (probably applies to most of these cases)
- Relink your game accounts to the same account which now has a dot added.
- Create a new forum account and link your game accounts to that one.

If you own both accounts and want the dot swapped to the other one, you may also send a message to Roel from the former PrimalWoW account. In this case you need to make sure that no game accounts are linked to the TrueWoW forum account.

Besides that, private messages from PrimalWoW were not transferred. So if you were still expecting a reply from someone, we suggest sending them a new message. Let us know if you want to recover some important information you stored in a message.

Update 10 March, Game accounts:

Just like with forum accounts. If there already was a game account with the same name in the TrueWoW database, your account had to be renamed with a dot in front. But in this case your old password will no longer work even if you add the dot to the username. The easiest way to reset the password would be to use the Account Manager and recover it by mail.

Additional matters will need to be dealt with manually by sending a message to Roel. These include:
- Problems recovering the password yourself. This is the only case where you will need to provide your old password.
- If you already had a TrueWoW account, you may request to merge the Primal account (with characters) into the TrueWoW account. This way you will have a single account for both realms. This will only be accepted if both accounts are linked to that forum account. Or if the Primal account is not linked to any forum account, provide the old password like explained above.

Those with a max level character at either realm will be able to unlock access to our testing realm in the account manager.

Roel
Founder

Re: Forums merged

#2 » Post by Roel » 03 Mar 2016 16:36

Added this:

If you own both accounts and want the dot swapped to the other one, you may also send a message to Roel from the PrimalWoW account. In this case you won't need an additional password reset but you need to make sure that no game accounts are linked to the TrueWoW forum account.

ItchyVortex

#3 » Post by ItchyVortex » 03 Mar 2016 16:38

Too soon.
Esunna, Feral Druid | Elainn, Discipline Priest

Relevant

#4 » Post by Relevant » 03 Mar 2016 16:38

ItchyVortex wrote:Too soon.
By about 6 years.

When I saw talk about merging the forums, I figured it meant there would be 1 location to access both boards, separately. I didn't realize all of the posts would be merged on the same board. Now there's useless PW info all over the place for the TW folks and useless TW info all over the place for the PW peeps.

I appreciate the amount of time and effort Prime dedicates to these server, but really? There wasn't a better use of time?

Fárlight

#5 » Post by Fárlight » 03 Mar 2016 16:48

Well this gonna be hard if someone have made a post
PW:
Farlight level 70 warrior Arms
TW:
I don't have any chars

Roel
Founder

#6 » Post by Roel » 03 Mar 2016 17:07

Relevent, you're always being so negative... This will only save time for the staff in the long run and reduce waiting times for players requesting any kind of support.

As for information being mixed up: http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34118
A lot is possible with forum sections but separating every single section would not be the most efficient.
Anyway I already finished separating the guild forums.

Relevant

#7 » Post by Relevant » 03 Mar 2016 19:25

Roel wrote:Relevent, you're always being so negative... This will only save time for the staff in the long run and reduce waiting times for players requesting any kind of support.

As for information being mixed up: http://www.truewow.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=34118
A lot is possible with forum sections but separating every single section would not be the most efficient.
Yeah, staff is the only ones I see benefiting from this. It's less to have to moderate and manage. I can see that.

Just at the expense of all the players :twisted:

MerelyASetback
Donor

#8 » Post by MerelyASetback » 03 Mar 2016 20:28

Roel wrote:Relevent, you're always being so negative... This will only save time for the staff in the long run and reduce waiting times for players requesting any kind of support.

Relevant does have a point about rushing and merging this without even putting a little thought or some time in planning this out.

Here is some input of how I see the forums could/should be organized:

[hide]INFORMATION
General Announcements
Different realms, different announcements, should be split.
General Information
Can be merged if the realmlists are merged for some topics but in general it should be split (e.g. 'Disabled content')
TrueWoW Fixes and Change Logs
Is the same for both realms, so it's alright the way it is now.

SUPPORT
General Support
A [Primal] or [True] prefix can be used for this section.
Bugtracker
Is the same for both realms, so it's alright the way it is now.

COMMUNITY
This section should be split completely.

GAME
WoW Guides
A [Primal] or [True] prefix can be used for this section. However a subsection for guides in progress or some quality assurance should be put in place.
Interface and Macros
A [Primal] or [True] prefix can be used for this section.
Player vs. Player
This section should be split.
Raid & Dungeons
Guild Management
Classes
This section should be split. Prefixes would only cause confusion here.

OTHER
Archive
This section should be split completely.
Junk
Why even keep this around? Just hide it from unregistered and normal registered people.[/hide]

If you look at it, it seems we're more divided than united...
But in the end it's all up to you.

As for your staff commentt: the last few tickets I made on Primal were answered by people who were clueless about Primal (e.g. Terokkar not being accessible on Primal, or general things that happen on LFG/World, 'simple' bugs that were left untouched and exploited for a long time which could be spotted and taken action on way earlier, even without scripting.). I have no idea how the gm population is spread over Primal/True, but it seems it's mostly Truewow affiliated gamemasters/staff. Couldn't recruiting more Primalbased staff solve the 'long waiting times' on Primal's end?
And for forumbased (mostly technical) support, most of it just concludes to RTFM or is quickly answered by the community.

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 03 Mar 2016 20:45

General Announcements can't be split because of how the front page announcements are showed up. If you split it, then either realm's announcement won't show.

MerelyASetback
Donor

#10 » Post by MerelyASetback » 03 Mar 2016 20:53

Nyeriah wrote:General Announcements can't be split because of how the front page announcements are showed up. If you split it, then either realm's announcement won't show.
Then you'd have to find a different solution to that.
It doesn't make any sense to have the Nefarian announcement on the TW front page or the QA announcement on the PW front page...

Nyeriah

#11 » Post by Nyeriah » 03 Mar 2016 21:00

It indeed doesn't make sense if you have only TrueWoW in mind but TrueWoW isn't just a "server" anymore but a network, composed by two servers. Looking at it that way, it seems acceptable to me to have either realm's announcements there

Roel
Founder

#12 » Post by Roel » 03 Mar 2016 21:01

The thing is that there will no longer be separate frontpages when everything is finished, as there will only be one website and one server with 2 realms... Some servers have 5+ realms and deal just fine with this, it doesn't happen every day that an announcement needs to go to the frontpage. But of course it still requires quite a number of changes to the website before we get to that point.

Roel
Founder

#13 » Post by Roel » 08 Mar 2016 15:12

This Thursday there will again be some maintenance while we merge the realmlist. Besides the websites, the PrimalWoW realm will also be down temporarily but the TrueWoW realm can remain online. There shouldn't be much downtime if all goes as planned.

I will update the homepage announcement afterwards.

Nyeriah

#14 » Post by Nyeriah » 09 Mar 2016 04:10

Emphasizing:

If there was a forum account at TrueWoW with the same name as yours, you'll have to relink your accounts at http://www.primalwow.org/account-manager

You can link it either to a TrueWoW forum account if you already had one, to a new TrueWoW forum account if you wish to create a new one, or to the account you previously had at PrimalWoW, which now has received a dot due to the duplicity.

I think this was maybe a little bit obfuscated, several players are asking about it

Roel
Founder

Re: Forums & Realmlist Merged

#15 » Post by Roel » 10 Mar 2016 12:45

I have updated this announcement with the realmlist merge that occurred today. So far it seems like everything went smoothly except that players with renamed accounts can contact me for some manual assistance in order to use their characters again.