Nyeriah

Re: Development Q&A

#16 » Post by Nyeriah » 17 Nov 2015 14:05

We are not working on Wintergrasp.

Doctor_J
Developer

#17 » Post by Doctor_J » 17 Nov 2015 21:46

cherno666 wrote:same question as like 3 months ago , do you ever plan to fix the major bugs in icc and uldu or fixing lvl 6 quests are more important?
Most of the low level quest fixes originate from TC updates not from Truewow staff, and about level 6 quests as for quests of that level most have always worked to a degree and for a lot of those quests we cant do much due to lack of sniff data which is why when a lot of those quests or npcs get fixed it is not actually from sniffed data taken from other sources and info in user comments on sites like wowhead, etc as since quests are not available on retail any more can no longer be sniffed (there are a some exceptions) but as said most of those fixes come from Trinitycore contributers.

And on this topic of this there are two types of developer involved in the operation of the server first you have the core devs which work on abillities which need to be coded, instance scripts, boss scripts and these need to be done in C and then you have database devs who use SQL to modify data and npcs and quest events can also be scripted via database using smartai or other db methods to make npcs cast spells, speak and react on certain actions ie been hit by a spell, receiving an emote, player been in range and movement can all be handed this way.

And finally if someone wanted to whats wrong with fixing level 6 quests been as these quests are the first quests a new player to the server will encounter an will give impression of the server.

ShinDarth
Donor

#18 » Post by ShinDarth » 20 Nov 2015 09:48

I ask here because I didn't get answer on IRC.

The TW repository is no longer public since a while. Now, how can I get the latest TrinityCore revision (not TrueWoW revision) that we are using?

Home page says:
Core revision: 2fca07a4b879
but that is not a valid TC commit (probably it's a TW merge or custom commit).

PS: I liked the idea of the public repository, it's sad to have it private now :roll:
Former GamingConsortium developer

Creator of PvPstats

Former 70-79 Twink player - M/Nadrine (Destruction Warlock)

Nyeriah

#19 » Post by Nyeriah » 20 Nov 2015 15:23

There was a server running with our core solely without giving us any credits and being general assholes to us, so it was decided it wouldn't be public anymore. We're working quite stable with how things currently are so we don't have plans on making it public again.

I'm afraid you can't know which tc revision we're running but it's merged every Wednesday anyway. So it's safe to assume everything since last Wednesday isn't applied.

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#20 » Post by Hansrutger » 26 Nov 2015 00:21

No idea where to put this question really, so decided to put it here:

I was wondering if there is any read-only access to the database that the server holds, or any API to access function to fetch data from, if there was some interest to create personal applications for it. Basically things such as gmotd, bank items etc. Or is it only possible if granted permission by the administrators/community owner?
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

Fastor

#21 » Post by Fastor » 26 Nov 2015 00:23

Hansrutger wrote:No idea where to put this question really, so decided to put it here:

I was wondering if there is any read-only access to the database that the server holds, or any API to access function to fetch data from, if there was some interest to create personal applications for it. Basically things such as gmotd, bank items etc. Or is it only possible if granted permission by the administrators/community owner?
You mean, integrating guild stuff into guild website?

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#22 » Post by Hansrutger » 26 Nov 2015 00:26

Fastor wrote:
Hansrutger wrote:No idea where to put this question really, so decided to put it here:

You mean, integrating guild stuff into guild website?
That's just an example. Everything from checking guild vault items from being able to access your own characters mails on a website/application/some kind of UI display. I'd love to experiment a bit, but my guess is that not everyone has access to the database to do queries.
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

Nyeriah

#23 » Post by Nyeriah » 26 Nov 2015 06:47

There are a lot of concerns that arise when handling out database access. For instance only admins and a couple of devs have access to the character database. But anyway there're lots of issues that if not properly addressed they could harm the server quite bad (injections, data disclosure, DDoS vulnerabilities or any other kind of requests that could affect performance) so it would depend a lot on what kind of application is it, where it'll be running, who'll have access to the data, etc, etc

Hansrutger
Former Staff

#24 » Post by Hansrutger » 26 Nov 2015 08:18

Would it be possible to create some kind of system to make all mails incoming to characters be shown on a website? Since we have the system of that you use a super account to have accounts bound to.
Retired

Nyeriah

#25 » Post by Nyeriah » 26 Nov 2015 13:17

I thought of creating such page, gc had a page like that. However I believe it'd be better as an armory feature. Not sure if anyone asked Nuko about it

ShinDarth
Donor

#26 » Post by ShinDarth » 28 Nov 2015 16:22

Hansrutger wrote: I was wondering if there is any read-only access to the database that the server holds, or any API to access function to fetch data from, if there was some interest to create personal applications for it.
https://github.com/ShinDarth/TC-JSON-API

It's a new software under development, but it already has many resources available. And new ones can be added easily. Accepting PRs.
Former GamingConsortium developer

Creator of PvPstats

Former 70-79 Twink player - M/Nadrine (Destruction Warlock)