Rework: C'thun, The Old God of Chaos

Nyeriah

Rework: C'thun, The Old God of Chaos

#1 » Post by Nyeriah » 20 Oct 2016 05:26

REWORK:
C'THUN, THE OLD GOD OF CHAOS

[hr=10][/hr]

[borderedimg="#8040FF"]http://blogs-images.forbes.com/insertco ... 00x619.jpg[/borderedimg]

BRIEFING
One of the most powerful beings to ever walk the world, the Old God C'thun once ruled over Azeroth before The Pantheon purified it and sealed the Old Gods away. C'thun created the Qiraj, which are now led by the Twin Emperors: Vek'lor and Vek'nilash, his first two creations. Through the halls of the fallen Temple of Ahn'Qiraj, his maddening whispers can be heard, to the torment of whoever dares venture within this unhallowed place.
Instance: Temple of Anh'Qiraj (40-Raid).
Expansion: Classic.
Encounter: C'thun.
Mechanics
  • - Eye Tentacles and Claw Tentacles spawn periodically during the encounter.
    - Encounter is composed by two phases: 1 - The Eye of C'thun, 2 - The Body of C'thun. The second phase starts when the Eye of C'thun dies.
    - The Eye of C'thun will periodically choose a random player and cast his Dark Glare upon it, then rotate clockwise or counter-clockwise, annihilating anything in it's path.
    - During phase 2, players are dragged into his stomach (check showcase video).
    - The Body of C'thun takes 99% reduced damage unless weakened after the stomach tentacles die.
Abilities
  • Eye of C'thun
    • [table][tr][th]Ability[/th][th]Description[/th][th]Timer[/th][th]Target[/th][th]Status[/th][/tr]
      [tr][td]Eye Beam[/td][td]Deals damage to the main target and jumps to additional target, dealing increasing damage for each consecutive jump.[/td][td]3 seconds[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr]
      [tr][td]Dark Glare[/td][td]Deals deadly damage to whoever stands in front of C'thun's eye while it rotates clockwise or counter-clockwise[/td][td]50 seconds, lasting for 35 seconds.[/td][td]Random Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr][/table]
    C'thun
    • [table][tr][th]Ability[/th][th]Description[/th][th]Timer[/th][th]Target[/th][th]Status[/th][/tr]
      [tr][td]Digestive Acid[/td][td]Stacking damage debuff applied to players within C'thun's stomach.[/td][td]5 Seconds[/td][td]Players swallowed within C'thun's stomach.[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr][/table]
    Claw Tentacles
      [tr][td]Ground Rupture[/td][td]The tentacle ruptures the ground when surfacing, dealing damage and knocking enemies back.[/td][td]Cast on spawn only[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr]
      [tr][td]Hamstring[/td][td]Melee ability that deals damage and slows the target's movement.[/td][td]5 Seconds[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr][/table]
    Eye Tentacles
      [tr][td]Ground Rupture[/td][td]The tentacle ruptures the ground when surfacing, dealing damage and knocking enemies back.[/td][td]Cast on spawn only[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr]
      [tr][td]Mind Flay[/td][td]Channeled beam that slows the target's movement.[/td][td]10-15 Seconds[/td][td]Random target not already victim of Mind Flay[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr][/table]
    Giant Claw Tentacles
      [tr][td]Ground Rupture[/td][td]The tentacle ruptures the ground when surfacing, dealing damage and knocking enemies back.[/td][td]Cast on surface only[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr]
      [tr][td]Thrash[/td][td]Gives the caster extra attacks.[/td][td]10 seconds[/td][td]Cast on self[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr]
      [tr][td]Hamstring[/td][td]Melee ability that deals damage and slows the target's movement.[/td][td]10 Seconds[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr][/table]
    Giant Eye Tentacles
      [tr][td]Eye Beam[/td][td]Deals damage to the main target and jumps to additional target, dealing increasing damage for each consecutive jump.[/td][td]2 seconds[/td][td]Current Target[/td][td]Working[/td][/tr][/table]
Bugs Fixed
  • - Small claw tentacles no longer re-surface if no targets are in range.
    - Tentacles no longer cast Ground Rupture periodically, it's now only cast when they surface.
    - Eye tentacles can no longer simultaneously cast Mind Flay on the same target (safe when it's cast at the exact same time - blizzlike, vide dev purposed video).
    - Tentacles no longer kill themselves after 30-40 seconds. They now despawn at 5 minutes (blizzlike approximation).
    - Players get knocked back if they try to pass through C'thun's eye or body.
    - Death Glare will now properly display the spin animation.
    - Death Glare now properly damages the direction C'thun is facing.
    - C'thun's partial body is now always visible (the white tentacles showing under the eye).
    - Mouth tentacle devouring animation fixed, stomach animation exit animation scripted (vide showcase video).
    - Eye tentacles now spawn in a circle rather than a square pattern (vide showcase images).
    - C'thun's weakened emote can now be heard in the entire zone.
    - Tentacles properly despawn when the encounter resets.
    - Tentacles no longer spawn inside the stomach.
    - C'thun no longer continues to spawn tentacles while weakened.
    - Eye tentacles will not choose to Mind Flay players being digested.
Known Issues
    Retail Video (DEVELOPMENT PURPOSE ONLY)
    • [youtube]EbIhk7Soxc4[/youtube]
    Showcase
    • [youtube]YKqRtq-t0Po[/youtube]
    [hide="Eye tentacle spawning"]Before

After

Image[/hide]

Expected Release Date
    [/color]

MerelyASetback
    Donor

Re: Rework: C'thun, The Old God of Chaos

#2 » Post by MerelyASetback » 20 Oct 2016 07:46

Amazing work and nice presentation!

This is how every boss release should be handled, especially the 'breaking news' and C'thun announcement. This makes the server and forum look more dynamic!

Justicelight
    Donor

#3 » Post by Justicelight » 20 Oct 2016 08:06

Damn this looks dope, I really love it. Good job !

As a suggestion, which can be very nice, I would like to say that the forum should get all of this dynamic stuff for each event across the year.

Hallow's End for example: put some headless horseman animation where C'thun is now or something like that. Add some soundtrack on top of it, this would be nice for every event like that.

Just an idea, imagination is the limit.
    "I write about the power of trying, because I want to be okay with failing. I write about generosity because I battle selfishness. I write about joy because I know sorrow. I write about faith because I almost lost mine, and I know what it is to be broken and in need of redemption. I write about gratitude because I am thankful - for all of it."

Ancestor

#4 » Post by Ancestor » 20 Oct 2016 09:58

ot.
    justice got point, we need more activity on mainpage like those announcements atm are very nice (Y)

Longi

#5 » Post by Longi » 20 Oct 2016 13:38

well done !
    ot. When C´thum whispered " you will die " :D it made my day .... Love this new feature of main page

Fastor

#6 » Post by Fastor » 20 Oct 2016 15:26

Longi wrote:well done !
    ot. When C´thum whispered " you will die " :D it made my day .... Love this new feature of main page
    l die inside a little every day, that is why lm in your raid.

Nyeriah

#7 » Post by Nyeriah » 21 Oct 2016 12:55

I'm glad you guys liked the headers, I quite just pulled the idea out of blue, so it's nice to know people like it :p

Now, now, go try Cthun and report any issues you may find!

Nyeriah

#8 » Post by Nyeriah » 27 Oct 2016 09:25

There were still some issues that showed up after testing and I have addressed them. One of the major ones would probably be the beam having a too large radius, this is how it looks right now after update:

[youtube]_aNbR4wsPSA[/youtube]

The other one that players reported was that he was taking normal damage even while not weakened, that turns out to be a visual issue.

In this video I output his damage taken after reduction to the console, so you can see that from 1000 damage, he only takes 10 damage.

[youtube]yTRMzFv3iU0[/youtube]

Nyeriah

#9 » Post by Nyeriah » 29 Oct 2016 10:38

The beam's width fix is now live, sorry for that. Also, I have added a 3 sec windup time to Dark Glare, in other words it'll take 3 secs after it picks a target *and* faces it before it actually starts casting the beam.

I have noticed an issue that the eye of C'thun turns red before actually facing his beam target, I've been busy trying to address that. So far it seems like that happens if he's facing some other direction due to him casting his random chain spell and not updating orientation fast enough. I'll try to find a way around that.

Nyeriah

#10 » Post by Nyeriah » 29 Oct 2016 12:03

All of them cast the same spell at their spawn point, so it doesn't really matter what their radius is, so long you're with the rupture's range which is 5yards I think, but I can't tell for certain atm, I'll gather that information and update this later

CescQ

#11 » Post by CescQ » 29 Oct 2016 12:09

Is small eyes HP going to be reduced to something more manageable for burst damage? They had like 3k hp in Vanilla, and right now, they have 13,7k, a wooping 4,5x, dps is much higher in this server, but dps isn't 4,5x of what it was in Vanilla nor is burst dps.

CescQ

#12 » Post by CescQ » 30 Oct 2016 10:58

Different issues:

-Claw tentacles deal no damage.
    -Small eye tentacles target totems when using Mindflay.
    -Dark glare still needs further tuning, it turns constantly around before picking a direction and then, shoots instantaneously, giving no time to move. Also when it starts, it casts the old 15yd wide Dark Glare and not a smaller one, wiping out entire groups. Its behaviour is not a steady firm turn around for 180º at the beginning, but more like it scintillates for 1-2s before starting his 180º rotation. Combining the scintillating plus the old Dark glare at the beginning, it looks like more a barrage like Mirmiron does in Ulduar.
    -In Vanilla WoW, distance between players was taken from center of the boxes, here is from the edge of the model, making taurens a pain to deal with and having to use costumes. Even using DBM with /range 11 doesn't assure you that you won't get fried by a green beam even when you don't see anyone in the pop-up window.
    -Also consider reducing the HP on eyes/claws, 6x hp is WAY too much. In retail, a mage would need 3 non-crit frostbolts to take down an eye, here, as a lock, I need 10-11 non-crit shadowbolts to take down the eye tentacles. A frostbolt + fireblast was more than enough to take down a claw tentacle, here I need 6-7 non-crit shadowbolts to take them down.

Nyeriah

#13 » Post by Nyeriah » 01 Nov 2016 18:55

CescQ wrote:Different issues:
    -Dark glare still needs further tuning, it turns constantly around before picking a direction and then, shoots instantaneously, giving no time to move. Also when it starts, it casts the old 15yd wide Dark Glare and not a smaller one, wiping out entire groups. Its behaviour is not a steady firm turn around for 180º at the beginning, but more like it scintillates for 1-2s before starting his 180º rotation. Combining the scintillating plus the old Dark glare at the beginning, it looks like more a barrage like Mirmiron does in Ulduar.
    When was this tested? Because it's supposed to already be fixed.

How come claw does no damage?

I'll solve the issue of mind flay on pets.

Not sure if anything can be done about the bounding issue

AQ40 should be receiving a HP nerf with the release of Naxxramas, we hope that's enough to make things more viable

Thanks for the feedback!

CescQ

#14 » Post by CescQ » 02 Nov 2016 14:59

We were experiencing those problems on Saturday.

CescQ

#15 » Post by CescQ » 06 Nov 2016 15:53

As you presumably know, we raided C'thun for 3h yesterday trying to test the fight.

My suggestions:

-Reduce the eye beam ability to something like 8yds. There is a reported bug where abilities chain from the edge of the bodies instead of the centers, making eye beam a pain to deal with, you can be all space up taking as much room as possible and still get chained because of how inconsistent is the chaining.
    -Change small eyes HP to something like 6k (4,5k hp would be most appropiate imho) and tune up their damage to 750 as it used to be in Vanilla, giving a sense of urgency having to nuke or interrupt their mindflay.
    -Could you also take a look on the big tentacles HP on P2? Now, small eye tentacles spawn every 30 seconds, forcing us to spend 200k damage every minute to bring them down. Also big tentacles are spawning every minute, big claw tentacle has around 460k HP and the big eye one has 161k HP iirc. With the huge mobility, we still need to find time to dps the tentacles in the stomach 2x 109k hp and damage the boss 4,5M HP.

In total, we need to deal ~800k damage per minute in a movement intensive fight, IIRC, on yesterday's set up, we had around 25 dps, if we put that everyone could average 700dps. It puts us at 17500 raid dps needing 46s to bring them down. Combined on how extremely punishing is p1 and, the fact that you will surely lose part of your raid because of some bugs (C'Thun picking a direction at the last moment of Dark Glare toasting 2-3 ppl), you won't have enough dps to bring down the tentacles nor C'Thun.

-Fix big eye/claw tentacles spawning during vulnerability, they shouldn't.