Hello There!

Newcomers of all levels are welcomed with their questions. There are always helpful and knowledgeable people ready to share some of their wisdom.
UndeadKaiser

Hello There!

#1 » Post by UndeadKaiser » 20 Sep 2016 18:38

Hello Everyone!

My name is UndeadKaiser, and after looking through what seems like tons of private servers I have found TrueWow/PrimalWoW. It seems to be just the right fit for me, and exactly what I'm looking for. Here is the kicker: I have never played World of Warcraft a day in my life, at all. So I am going in completely blind, and looking to have the most authentic experience possible!

Hit me with tips/tricks, anything you wish you would have known going into WoW the very first time!

Thanks everyone!

Hansrutger
Former Staff

Re: Hello There!

#2 » Post by Hansrutger » 20 Sep 2016 18:51

Welcome!

I recently started playing Dark Souls and to be honest the most fun I have had is to learn without googling etc so I'm going to keep the tips to a minimum hehe'. If you however do want to look up information, most info is out there on youtube and google just remember to put "3.3.5" as a search word in the end if it's specific for this patch!

One thing I will tell you though, get used to using Q and E, or bind them to A and D. Helps a lot once you get used! Or simply just always hold down your right mouse button. Anyways, not much for tips but welcome anyways! If you have any questions feel free to ask them!
Retired

I'd say that trying is the best one can do in order to higher themselves from the people crying and only complaining. Whilst you try, it doesn't mean it is always going to be the most successful result but I'd like to think that it is still a better choice than standing idle.

TrueWoW main: Palamaster

Gnurg

#3 » Post by Gnurg » 20 Sep 2016 19:50

As Mikke started on... keybinding can make the game experience a lot better. It just feels faster and smoother once you get into it. + It's easier to learn it if you don't have unlearn the bad habit off keyboard turning and clicking.

To change keybindings --> Click esc, pick keybindings.
You should want to bind Strafe Left/Right to A and D as Mikke suggested. You have to turn using the mouse by holding down the right mouse button though, but it is a lot smoother!
You should as well rebind all the action bar buttons for the 'main' action bar. (They are 1, 2, 3, ... 0 initialy, which is somewhat complicated to use since they're so spread out). Buttons I like are 1, 2, 3, 4, (5), q, e, r, (t), f, (g), (z), (x), (c), (v). The ones without parentheses are the easiest ones. On top of those you can have a shift, ctrl and alt modifier for each one, so shift + 1 and 1 are different ones. To begin with, I would recommend 1, 2, 3, 4, q, e, r, f and using the shift modifier for some of them. That way you should have more than sufficient bindings for spells in PvE and maybe PvP (depending on class).
To change between nearby targets: tab.

Worth to learn the other game menu keybinds too: like b --> bag, m --> map, esc --> main menu, etc...

Try to join a guild as playing without any social interaction can be dull. Luckily you could even find a partner to level up together with.

Random Dungeon Finder unlocks at level 15, which is an easy way to level up together with other players (should there be enough online for it)... just don't queue up for a role you don't think you can manage. Damage Dealer is simplest one. Press 'i' to open the queue window.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
VISIBLE "HAI WORLD, IZ GNURF!"
KTHXBYE

milanlord

#4 » Post by milanlord » 20 Sep 2016 21:07

Lol guys really? :D He's a new guy and you want him to teach keybinds? :D Hey you don't have to use keybinds to be a nice player :)

Friend, welcome to the game, just like Palamaster said, try to explore alone in game, that's the biggest fun :)

Anyway, from my opinion basic stuff : Follow quests, they will tell you where to go, on 2+4+6+8 and so on lvl you can go to your trainer and learn new spells! To learn spells you need gold which you get from doing quests and selling random items which you get when killing mobs :D And that's basicly it ! :D If you know English well, you won't have a single problem, cause you just have to read what spells do and what to do, to finish quests :)

Note: There isn't trainer in every village so, to check that just ask guard by right clicking on him and clicking on option Class Trainer if there is such option, then a little flag will appear on your map leading you to trainer, if there isn't that option, then there isn't your trainer in that village :)
Retired - Sadly I can't agree with cf bg's being a good choice for the server. The only thing we got with this feature is less bg's nowadays and less people online and I can't participate in this big mistake.

Gnurg

#5 » Post by Gnurg » 20 Sep 2016 21:21

milanlord wrote:Lol guys really? :D He's a new guy and you want him to teach keybinds? :D Hey you don't have to use keybinds to be a nice player :)

-- Trust me, you will have a much harder time adapting from clicking to keybinding than starting off as a keybinding.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

adiba

#6 » Post by adiba » 20 Sep 2016 21:38

Hello. You should download some questing addons because it will get confusing from time to time. You can download carbonite. Also, check out the addons list while you're at it to see what other addons might help you. You can find that list on the addons page. The people in the server are rather friendly, so don't be shy :D
You'll get the hang of it as you go on. The information you'll need is almost always given so read thoroughly if you're not sure what's going on and ask for help whenever needed. :D
Good luck and have fun!

Eronox
MVP

#7 » Post by Eronox » 20 Sep 2016 21:55

I remember my noob days.
WotLK retail, 3.3.2, BE paladin who ran around not having a clue bout whats going on. 1 year later i were the raidleader of the realms top 10, place 2, guild :D

My biggest advise to you is to follow your own interest and try out things on ur own desires, dont ask for them. What i found drawing my interest downhills, was the quests since wotll does not feature a Quest helper. Hence I'd strongly advise you to get Carbonite (full package, the map change is just so damn more useable)

You can get it from curse.com and ask for guide at google. I could also teach you step by step if you'd like :)

I hope you'll have a great gaming experience!

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.
But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right,
You'll never see me wear a suit of white.

- J.R Cash

UndeadKaiser

#8 » Post by UndeadKaiser » 21 Sep 2016 03:43

Thank you everyone for all of your advice so far! The community here already seems super awesome!

I will definitely do the keybinding thing, as that seems more natural to me in lieu of the other turning method. I will also look into Carbonite as I was really overwhelmed when I saw all of the add-ons wondering what was best for the best player experience!

milanlord

#9 » Post by milanlord » 21 Sep 2016 11:02

Yes, carbonite is very nice for leveling, helps you do quests so much easier and also it gives a warning if the player from other faction is near you :)
Retired - Sadly I can't agree with cf bg's being a good choice for the server. The only thing we got with this feature is less bg's nowadays and less people online and I can't participate in this big mistake.

Eronox
MVP

#10 » Post by Eronox » 21 Sep 2016 12:02

milanlord wrote:Yes, carbonite is very nice for leveling, helps you do quests so much easier and also it gives a warning if the player from other faction is near you :)

And the map & quest objectives!
Just gotta love the UA

There's things that never will be right I know, and things need changin' everywhere you go.

- J.R Cash

adiba

#11 » Post by adiba » 21 Sep 2016 16:56

:?
Eronox wrote:
milanlord wrote:Yes, carbonite is very nice for leveling, helps you do quests so much easier and also it gives a warning if the player from other faction is near you :)

And the map & quest objectives!
Just gotta love the UA
Exactly why you need carbonite :D

Gnurg

#12 » Post by Gnurg » 21 Sep 2016 17:05

I wouldn't recommend carbonite as it fugly looking and essensially you end up running in the direction the arrow is pointing. Don't let it zombify you, the quest descrption covers enough to complete them on your own. On top of that, at our patch you will have quest points on the map, making carbs a heavy addon for just some arrow pointing in the recommended quest direction.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Eronox
MVP

#13 » Post by Eronox » 21 Sep 2016 17:08

Gnurg wrote:I wouldn't recommend carbonite as it fugly looking and essensially you end up running in the direction the arrow is pointing. Don't let it zombify you, the quest descrption covers enough to complete them on your own. On top of that, at our patch you will have quest points on the map, making carbs a heavy addon for just some arrow pointing in the recommended quest direction.
It allows you to see map at all times without covering whole screen, and the quest areas given are very on point and shows area to maximum.

Also, it is VERY customizable so potato PC users can easily reduce its fps drop

- J.R Cash

Gnurg

#14 » Post by Gnurg » 21 Sep 2016 17:14

Eronox wrote:
Gnurg wrote:I wouldn't recommend carbonite as it fugly looking and essensially you end up running in the direction the arrow is pointing. Don't let it zombify you, the quest descrption covers enough to complete them on your own. On top of that, at our patch you will have quest points on the map, making carbs a heavy addon for just some arrow pointing in the recommended quest direction.
It allows you to see map at all times without covering whole screen, and the quest areas given are very on point and shows area to maximum.

Also, it is VERY customizable so potato PC users can easily reduce its fps drop
It still kills the first time experience.

What I enjoyed the most first time playing this game was exploring the world, not knowing where to go. Mindlessly following some arrow is boring and is something I wouldn't recommend a player exploring Azeroth for the first time.
HAI
CAN HAZ STDIO?
KTHXBYE

Fastor

#15 » Post by Fastor » 21 Sep 2016 18:08

First of all, game have three aspects of playing:
  • Single player where you just gathering quests and getting your professions up,
    Multyplayer with focus on fighting computer opponents such as dungeons and raids and
    Multyplayer with focus on battle against other players.
Second, games user interface is very customisable with Keybinds, Macroes and Addons.
  • You can set every single ability to keyboard so you dont need to move mouse a lot and increase your reaction time.
    Macros allow you to do multiple things/abilities at same time.
    Addons can increase your productivity or just look of your interface. l would suggest you to use addons only after you realize whats what in this game.