[PW] Transfer & Population questions

Newcomers of all levels are welcomed with their questions. There are always helpful and knowledgeable people ready to share some of their wisdom.
fgsfdss

[PW] Transfer & Population questions

#1 » Post by fgsfdss » 19 Jul 2016 09:46

Hi there!

I used to play on Nostalrius and wanted to check out Primal. Obviously I can't log in to take a screenshot, and I have little space to elaborate proof of ownership of my character, so I thought I'd make a topic here.
I could provide:
  • realmplayers link to my character
  • screenshots of me playing the character
  • screenshot of my retail character with the same name
  • character on different private servers with the same name
I also have the "same" character at level 80 on Lordaeron, I could technically get a screenshot of that too, but it's not as well-geared, relatively. Does that make any difference? Since it's for Primal it would not be a 1:1 transfer anyway.

I've been reading a few posts and the information on the transfer page, but it's still not entirely clear to me. What exactly happens with the transfer? Do I just get an instant max-level character with some gear and gold, basically?

About the population, my character is Horde but I'd like to play Alliance (Human). Can I change that for free? I didn't see any room to specify for that. Although I saw some videos where Horde and Alliance play together. Is that still the case? Can I simply communicate and play with both factions?

If I can't resolve the issue this way, I also saw on the request page that I should contact a staff member for special requests. Who can I talk to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dymond
Senior Game Master

Re: [PW] Transfer & Population questions

#2 » Post by Dymond » 19 Jul 2016 15:02

Since there is no way to check ownership of Nostalrius characters, we can not transfer from this server. Other servers are still available and even retail. Criteria to transfer from retail is that the character must be max level of 100, we consider the time to level to 100 on retail to be approximately the same as leveling to 60 on PrimalWow.

Faction change is not free, but cross faction play including chat and even cross faction guilds are available.

If your character from another server or retail meets the criteria for transfer, you would receive a predefined character. A level 60 character with starting gear and 500 gold.
"Grief is the price we pay for love."

fgsfdss

#3 » Post by fgsfdss » 19 Jul 2016 17:33

Hi Dymond, thanks for the reply.

So basically it doesn't matter which character I decide to "copy", as the result will be the same for all of them?

I have not had an active retail account since Cata, but as I mentioned I do have a max-level character on Warmane as well. So that would result in the same "copied" character as a retail or Nost character?

And it would be the same race no matter what?

Cheers!

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#4 » Post by Dymond » 19 Jul 2016 22:06

Your character on the other server must meet a set criteria. Class must remain the same, but you can select any race available.

Fitzpatrick
Honorary Member

#5 » Post by Fitzpatrick » 19 Jul 2016 23:03

fgsfdss wrote:Although I saw some videos where Horde and Alliance play together. Is that still the case? Can I simply communicate and play with both factions?.
Yes, this is still the case. The only time you'd notice a difference is that you can't trade with opposing faction characters unless you are first grouped, and to group up with them you have to use the command /invite [name].
Welcome to the server!
Fitzsimmons / Bibimbap / Fitzpatrick

fgsfdss

#6 » Post by fgsfdss » 20 Jul 2016 05:24

Dymond wrote:Your character on the other server must meet a set criteria. Class must remain the same, but you can select any race available.
Great to hear! As I understand it, my character must be above level 60 and from a server which is 3 months old, both of which are true (max level on Warmane).
So now I should just take a screenshot of my character in the character selection screen with the Request a Transfer page in the background, correct?
Fitzpatrick wrote:Yes, this is still the case. The only time you'd notice a difference is that you can't trade with opposing faction characters unless you are first grouped, and to group up with them you have to use the command /invite [name].
Welcome to the server!
Sounds interesting, how does chat work cross-faction in public channels (say, party, guild, general, world)?
And thanks!
Last edited by fgsfdss on 20 Jul 2016 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

Dymond
Senior Game Master

#7 » Post by Dymond » 20 Jul 2016 10:56

No, from servers, besides retail, you must provide username and.password. Chat works as it would normally in these areas.

fgsfdss

#8 » Post by fgsfdss » 20 Jul 2016 11:43

You mean my username and password on my Warmane account? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I don't even know who would access my account, and I'm pretty sure that's against Warmane's terms of service as well.
Can I personally contact the administrator who would potentially do so?

Jiranthos
Admin

#9 » Post by Jiranthos » 20 Jul 2016 12:14

fgsfdss wrote:You mean my username and password on my Warmane account? I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I don't even know who would access my account, and I'm pretty sure that's against Warmane's terms of service as well.
Can I personally contact the administrator who would potentially do so?
You'd provide your password to a section of our page (Request-a-Transfer), that only the staff can see. We've done plenty of transfers and none have complained about anything missing or gone wrong before. Obviously, change your Warmane password to something that is neutral first, like "twtransf43223", so we wouldn't know the password you might use for other things on the Internet, and then change it back when the transferring is done.
Transfers are mostly done by senior GMs like Dymond above. Administrators have much more different tasks, so they cannot spend their time micro managing player issues and transfer requests, that's why they employed us GMs.
The reason we need to log your character is to run a script that will output how many quests you have done, how much /played you have, how many Honorable Kills, dungeons done and so on. Part or some of that has to be high enough to transfer to here. Also we do not delete characters from template transfers (mismatched content or versions between servers), so all we'll do is log your WM toon, inspect it if it's played enough and then log off and never log in again (after which you can change your WM password back to the original one), and then create a level capped toon with some starting gold and gear for you here. :) Hope that was clear and easy to understand.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

fgsfdss

#10 » Post by fgsfdss » 20 Jul 2016 18:13

Hi Jiranthos, thanks for elaborating. That does indeed cover everything I was unsure about.
Though I was looking forward to playing, I'll further consider the option for now as I'm very sceptical about allowing other people access to my account, even with a temporary password. (Paranoia aside, on Nostalrius and retail this would result in a permanent ban as well.)

If there's any other way (through screenshots, achievements, video, anything really, heck I'd write an essay on my history with the game), please do let me know.

Regardless, I do very much appreciate the effort in answering all my questions!

Jiranthos
Admin

#11 » Post by Jiranthos » 20 Jul 2016 18:20

You're very welcome. Glad I could be of help.
Screenshots can, and have been, edited.
Video can be edited.
There just doesn't seem to be any other way to get proof of ownership, proof of intention to transfer, proof of all the other prerequisites in one un-editable or un-fakable medium.

Everybody knows that the best way to describe the ocean to a blind man is to push him in

belendor

#12 » Post by belendor » 20 Jul 2016 19:47

You shouldn't be worried at all, TW staff are one of the most kind and trustworthy people out there :)
Belendor lvl 80 prot/holy paladin - The original

No need to mention the other paladins.

Best word in west flemish 'toetoet'

fgsfdss

#13 » Post by fgsfdss » 21 Jul 2016 18:16

Jiranthos wrote:There just doesn't seem to be any other way to get proof of ownership
Streaming, surely? I couldn't possibly fake live commands, or my own voice which can also be heard on multiple recordings with my guild.
Though obviously doing it with the third party scanner is way less time-consuming than individually investigating each request.

Jiranthos
Admin

#14 » Post by Jiranthos » 21 Jul 2016 20:18

fgsfdss wrote:
Jiranthos wrote:There just doesn't seem to be any other way to get proof of ownership
Streaming, surely? I couldn't possibly fake live commands, or my own voice which can also be heard on multiple recordings with my guild.
Though obviously doing it with the third party scanner is way less time-consuming than individually investigating each request.
Yes, you're right, but as you hinted, this kind of an approach is not suitable for all players (those unable to stream) so it's not something we've ever considered or allowed thus far, as far as I am informed. I don't know if the higher-ups would agree to an exception for your case, since handling exceptions is a nuisance, and you'd have to coordinate time of stream with availability of Game Master/Admin and they would have to pay 100% attention to what is going on, since overlays and other stuff can be triggered for streams with mere presses of hot keys. Someone clever and practiced enough would still be able to misdirect, fake and con attention away from key points. Of course that's paranoid, but I guess you understand since you're paranoid, too. Well, let's see if some higher up reads this and gives a decision, so we don't keep brainstorming in vain.