Game client(s) freeze on Win10

Nathanrel

Game client(s) freeze on Win10

#1 » Post by Nathanrel » 16 Jun 2016 16:19

SOLVED: See page 2

Hi all, I have been playing on Primal for about 9 months now and suddenly i have trouble on my Windows 10 PC.
I upgraded :roll: to Windows 10 from 7 last April.

The game client still ran fine after this. Untill one day it gave a black screen, with the game still running in the background (I could hear spells being cast en footsteps from walking my char).

So the client was still running and functioning, it was just the display that froze (imo)
I restarted the game: it instantly froze on the login screen. The werid part was, again.. the cleint was running fine. I could type in my password and press enter and i heard the client logging in. then i pressed enter again and I could hear the Enter World sound, however on my screen still the login screen without anything filled in.

I then alt-tabbed out to find a cause on the web. The second I alt-tabbed back in, I saw a few frames of my char AFK Ironforge before it froze on one of those screens. After testing more i found that indeed the client itself works flawlessly. I walked a few feet, then alt-tabbed out and back in and I found my character at the spot where it had walked to.

So I can play at 1 frame per alt-tab.. no playable framerate ^_^ :lol:

- Then I decided to redownload the client > no succes.
- Then I copied the client via external HDD from my Win7 laptop to my Win10 desktop > no succes either (even weirder because the client on my laptop was a copy from my desktop before it went from Win7 to 10)
- Then I tried a different 3.3.5a client (from dalaran) > no succes
- Then I tried a 2.4.3 client (Excalibur) > no succes, this one also freezes after starting.
- Then I tried different monitors > also no result

The ONLY WoW client that does work is RETAIL. :? (I actually downloaded it to check if it froze too)

Does any of you have an idea how this could be possible?
I would love to solve this problem, because I cant stand having to spend my WoW-time behind a 15" laptop instead of my battlestation :cry:

Thanks infinitely in advance!

My system in case it might help:
OS: Win7 home premium since 2012, upgraded to Win 10 in April 2016 after upgrading the hardware.
CPU: i7 3770 (watercooled) stock speed
GPU: MSI R9 390 (new) stock speed
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance (new)
MoBo: AsRock H61m-DGS (new)
Last edited by Nathanrel on 23 Jun 2016 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Fastor

Re: Game client(s) freeze on Win10

#2 » Post by Fastor » 16 Jun 2016 17:00

Do not use Windows 10.

gecko32

#3 » Post by gecko32 » 16 Jun 2016 17:56

Can try clean install of graphic drivers or disabling game bar.

floatzilla

#4 » Post by floatzilla » 16 Jun 2016 18:02

Bad advice from Fastor. I'm wondering if the issue is more with your gpu, or possibly software associated with it. Check direct x. Go to your wow folder, delete the WTF WDB and interface folders. I've had corruptions with them. Maybe try windowed mode since you were in full screen. Unfortunately it could be any number of problems.

Fastor

#5 » Post by Fastor » 16 Jun 2016 20:17

floatzilla wrote:Bad advice from Fastor.
No, its very good advice. Perfect actually. No matter how much Microsoft telling its good, it actually is not, its barely Beta. There are too much problems with it and too few advantages (if you call DX12 advantage since those few DX12 games that exist, well they dont provide that almighty FPS difference).

Nathanrel you made error on very start. Unlike Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, upgrade to W10 is catastrophically done by Microsoft so much that its better to back up all your files and run clean install of W10. Drivers tend to mismatch or dont exist at all and programs that used to work now wont because conflicts in registry.

Gecko was close but l doubt that would benefit too, however if you really want to try that solution, l suggest you use DDU to uninstall drivers (regular uninstall leaves leftovers and since you have leftovers from previous system, well.... you know how bad it is)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/dis ... nload.html

prodigy
Developer

#6 » Post by prodigy » 16 Jun 2016 20:24

windows 10 is just fine...i've been using it for over 6 months.
about the issue i had with win10 and wotlk client...i had to go to display settings and change the aspect ratio slider from 125%(wich is says it's recommended) down to 100%...since then i never had issues with the game client.
PS: i didn't upgrade to win10,i installed a clean one(licensed ofc)

EDIT:i see you have an ATI video card...maybe some setting changed there...can't say...i'm a nvidia fan.but avoid changing advanced settings if you don't know what they do
EDIT2: also try updating video drivers...or downgrading them

Deim

#7 » Post by Deim » 16 Jun 2016 21:23

Apart from what Gecko and Fastor suggested, re-downloading client might be an option during update win7/8/8.1 to win10 corruption of filles happen sometimes. Also try to run wow in compatibility mode set let's say to Win XP.

I had updated myself to win10 few moths ago, tho I did a lot of tweaking, registry cleaning and re-installing shit before I actually started using any kind of applications and games on my laptop (had no problems with them after that).
TrueWoW - Retired
PrimalWoW - Retired
Rest in pepperoni Crimson
RIP in pepperoni Aftershock
Spokesman of Aftershock in case of any questions/complaints hit me up in game or via PM.

Disclaimer: What I write on behalf guild doesn't always corelate with my own beliefs.

Longi

#8 » Post by Longi » 16 Jun 2016 22:17

W10 is fine, i have been using it from begin ... well, basic version was horrible ( I unistalled it after like 10 hours :D , but after new updates and pathes its great windows ( better than W7 or Wxp in my opinion ) I dont have any problems with this system

- check your graphic card settings (windows was setting all to minimum, at least for notebooks, not sure if w10 is doing it still)
- check driver version of graphic card ( newest version has bigger chance to work well )
- you can try to run Wow.exe as an administrator
- you can try to run Wow.exe with W7 or W xp compability
- if you have PC build by Samsung - dont use W10, Samsung left official warning about non-combabilities with W10

Mortium

#9 » Post by Mortium » 22 Jun 2016 06:24

How is this issue going? Did any of the suggestions above from community members help?

Nathanrel

#10 » Post by Nathanrel » 22 Jun 2016 15:44

Deim wrote:Apart from what Gecko and Fastor suggested, re-downloading client might be an option during update win7/8/8.1 to win10 corruption of filles happen sometimes. Also try to run wow in compatibility mode set let's say to Win XP.

That is the first thing I did after discovering the problem ;)
None of any Windows compatabilities solved the problem.

Nathanrel

#11 » Post by Nathanrel » 22 Jun 2016 15:51

prodigy wrote:EDIT:i see you have an ATI video card...maybe some setting changed there...can't say...i'm a nvidia fan.but avoid changing advanced settings if you don't know what they do
EDIT2: also try updating video drivers...or downgrading them
The video card is running at stock speeds and settings. The problem has endured 4 driver versions now. :(

Nathanrel

#12 » Post by Nathanrel » 22 Jun 2016 15:55

Fastor wrote:
floatzilla wrote:Bad advice from Fastor.
Nathanrel you made error on very start. Unlike Windows 7, 8 and 8.1, upgrade to W10 is catastrophically done by Microsoft so much that its better to back up all your files and run clean install of W10. Drivers tend to mismatch or dont exist at all and programs that used to work now wont because conflicts in registry.
The client worked fine for about a month after upgrading to Win10. Just like evry other program i had installed during Win7. Non-Retail WoW clients just froze up one day and kept freezing after launch from that point.

Fastor

#13 » Post by Fastor » 22 Jun 2016 16:12

Try to remember which day was it and then compare it with Windows Update list. Might be that one of updates caused .... "fatality".

EDIT: In few hours when l return home, l will be able to enter your PC via TeamViewer problem. If you are online and up for it, we could try that and l would check all that cross my mind, however l still think you should return to W7 :\
BTW yes privacy is guaranteed, l wont tell anyone what l find on your PC even if its Barbies wallpaper ^_^

Nathanrel

#14 » Post by Nathanrel » 22 Jun 2016 17:44

Fastor wrote:EDIT: In few hours when l return home, l will be able to enter your PC via TeamViewer problem. If you are online and up for it, we could try that and l would check all that cross my mind, however l still think you should return to W7 :\
BTW yes privacy is guaranteed, l wont tell anyone what l find on your PC even if its Barbies wallpaper ^_^
Hehe don't worry i have nothing to hide :P and im familliar with teamviewer!
That would actually be very helpful, although I do have a Dutch Windows, but we can make that work. You can join me on TS3 while we are at it. Let me know what time would work best for you!

Thanks in advance!

Fastor

#15 » Post by Fastor » 22 Jun 2016 19:08

Ok back now.

Anyhow there is build in chat in TeamViewer but for some reason l still use Notepad to chat, old habit. Anyway language of your System does not matter since once you get use to, you know all by locations of buttons. l think l could work on ancient egyptian (would be cool language pack to play with).

Here is basic version of TV https://download.teamviewer.com/downloa ... rQS_de.exe
Send me ID and Password on mail instead on forum.